4.1.99 slow

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 16 19:50:26 CET 2004

On 12/16/04 18:02, Mark Houlder wrote:

> >yep, as you've guessed, it's composite that's causing the slowness.
> >frankly, i'm not too pleased that the compositor is enabled by default
> >in xfwm4 in the gentoo ebuilds.  then again, composite is disabled by
> >default in the x.org config, so if you're enabling it, you should know
> >what you're doing (hint, hint ^_~).  the real bottleneck here is
> >actually the video drivers' implementation of the X render extension,
> >which often isn't all that great.  from what i understand, the nvidia
> >binary drivers are the only ones that have a half-decent render
> >implementation, and it only really helps on the mid- to upper-range
> >geforce cards (at least, it sucks on my ancient tnt2 ultra).
>

> yes, you're right, i enabled the compositor in my xorg config, to play
> around with it when i upgraded to the latest xorg. at that time there
> was no point turning it off (from my point of view) as i still had to
> explicitly use transset etc to make use of it. now that it's starting to
> be used inside apps i may as well turn it off in my xorg.conf.
>
> am i right in understanding that my being able to use it (without it
> being sluggish) will be down to new versions of the ati kernel drivers
> (i have a radeon card and use the kernel drivers for it rather than the
> ati ones)? or is it likely to always be slow on my hardware (radeon 9000
> mobile w/ 32mb). it's no biggie, but the drop shadows look so nice ... :)

i really don't know, as i have no experience wih that hardware.  likely
the fact that it's a mobile chipset means that you're going to have some
bottlenecks related to that.  the 9000 is a relatively new chipset, so
i'd expect it to perform pretty well.  i have a radeon 8500 mobility in
my laptop, and it performs unacceptably with the stock radeon driver
that comes with x.org.  unfortunately the binary ATI drivers don't support
the 8500, so i have no point of comparison.

frankly, with the state of video driver support on linux (and BSD), having
to use a full-blown compositor just to do drop shadows really sucks
(performance-wise).  i honestly don't expect any of this stuff to be fast
enough to be usable for a reasonable number of people for *at least*
another year.

	-brian