Lost desktop & right mouse

Ken McLennan kenrmcl at dnet.net.au
Wed Dec 15 07:24:24 CET 2004

G'day there One & All,

    I'm using xfce 4.1.99.1

    Somehow today I've managed to kill my desktop & the use of the right
& middle mouse buttons. I still have the panel and taskbar. They both
work as expected, with the right mouse button bringing up the change
dialogue from the panel. The right button works in both Firefox &
Thunderbird so the problem doesn't seem to be the mouse.

    Everything was fine when I started to try to get my USB memory stick
working. I had the entire screen covered with terminals showing man
pages and other stuff, plus the Links browser in graphic mode showing
the HowTo. I couldn't see the background at all, so I don't really know
what I was doing when it disappeared nor even roughly when it happened.
All I know is that I got my memory stick working, shut down the
windows/terminals and had no picture for the background. I tried to
right click to get the menu and nothing happened.

    I've since used xsetroot to get a background colour, but can't get
xfce background things working again. I've not been able to find a
resource file with a background setting, but I'm sure there's one in
here somewhere - I'm still looking, but I don't really think it will be
much use to me.

    I've tried searching in the user-list archive on the xfce site, but
didn't come up with anything that gave pointers.

    Oh, btw, Torsmo is working OK, so there's still a desktop there =).

    Does any one have any ideas of where I should look? or heard of
anything similar?

Thanks in advance (gee... that was original)

Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia