4.2 Newbie: Icons in Desktop Menu?

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Thu Dec 2 16:25:21 CET 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> nope, this has nothing to do with gtk themes.
>
> the only thing i can think off offhand is that you have the XDG_DATA_DIRS
> env var set to something weird.  (usually most people shouldn't have it
> set at all, and we have a sane default, right benny?)
>
> oh also...  something silly.  are you using a self-customised menu in
> your homedir from a 4.0.x install?  it won't just magically pick up icons;
> you need to tell it what they are.  the autogenerated system menu will
> do icons if the entry has one listed in its .desktop file.  i'd suggest
> moving your ~/.config/xfce4/menu.xml aside and check out the default menu
> (force xfdesktop to reload by running 'xfdesktop -reload').  if that
> still doesn't give you icons, then the problem is elswehere.

Not silly at all.  I am in fact using a menu generated by menumaker
some time ago.  This would explain my case, at least.  I will try out
the auto-generated menu sometime soon and see if that suits my needs
any better than menumaker (although I do like the "recently used"
support from menumaker).

Thanks,
-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA