A quick question about desktop-image rendering on XFCE4

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Aug 29 00:46:51 CEST 2004

i haven't seen this problem before, though i think i recall someone
talking abuit it quite some time ago.

first of all, are you using xfce 4.0.x, or CVS?  desktop handling has
changed somewhat since 4.0.x, so the problem may have disappeared.
second, are you using a non-standard X visual, or perhaps a low bit-depth?

you can find the visual by running 'xdpyinfo'.  look for a line that
reads "default visual id", then find a "visual" section that matches the
id number.  the "class" and "depth" fields in that section are the ones
in which i'm interested.

as for the handling itself, xfdesktop CVS resizes and composites using
bicubic interpolation, so i wouldn't expect there to be any odd
dithering effects.  i don't recall offhand what 4.0.x does, but i can't
imagine that it's much different.

    -brian