Left click on desktop

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 19 12:43:30 CEST 2004

040818 Gerald Barre wrote:
> Le Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:53:24 -0400
> purslow at sympatico.ca s'exprimait:
>> je suis affligé que mon petit autobus électrique au bout de la page
>> se trompe partout en cours de se rendre en fonte variable.
> Sorry, I destroyed it just a little.;-)
>> 'à poil' se traduit mieux en 'bareback (horse-riding)', n'est-ce pas ?
> No, check it on http://www.reverso.net/text_translation.asp

yes, it says 'nakedly', but i don't trust an I/net translation service.
my scholarly dictionary (Cassell's 1920) gives only 'bareback' (riding);
my modern dictionary (Bantam New College 1972) gives 'naked, bareback'
& 'se metter à poil' = 'to strip to the skin', so it mb a more modern usage.
i wd not, of course, question your authority re the French phrase,
only your knowledge of the appropriate English equivalent.

perhaps we cd ask the creator of Apwal what he intended ... (smile)

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca