'Cycle through windows' feature request

Sami Samhuri sami at no-eff-eks.com
Fri Aug 6 18:08:37 CEST 2004

* It was Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 09:51:25AM +0200 when Nikolas Arend said:

> Well, take the KDE window manager as an example. There you have two
> options to choose from that control the cycling behaviour: "KDE" and
> "CDE" style. When "KDE" ist set, then you cycle through all windows, but
> the windows don't pop up at once but you have small "display" showing
> what widget you're at. If you release CTRL-TAB, that window gets
> selected and pops up (whether it was minimized or not). I guess that's
> very M$ Windows like. I prefer the second alternative, "CDE", it does
> exactly what I described, cycling only through the non-minimized windows
> on the current desktop. Furthermore you can set an option to include all
> windows from all desktop in the cycle, but I don't think that's so great.
> So, may KDE be bloated and one likes it or not, that is a good example
> IMHO and it improves usability with small effort. And I don't exactly
> understand what's the problem with the mouse.

Regardless of bloat, KDE is not a bad environment as far as
customization goes.

For this feature though I think it is more powerful to define another
keyboard shortcut for cycling through only non-'minimised' windows,
rather than providing an option. Sometimes I'll only want visible
windows in the list, and sometimes I'll want them all. Opening a
settings dialog to change an option to toggle this behaviour is a bit
much.

--
Sami Samhuri