OS Upgrade Prevents Loading X

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Fri Aug 6 15:51:38 CEST 2004

Some time ago (probably on Fri, 6 Aug 2004 06:31:02 -0700 (PDT))
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> had occasion to say the following:

>   Last evening I upgraded a machine from Slackware-9.1 to Slackware-10.0. As
> part of the process, XFree86 was replaced by Xorg. (I vaguely recall reading
> something about this but I don't recall what, where or why.) Now, when I try
> to startx (which is a symlink to startxfce4), the script fails because it
> cannot find /usr/bin/xinit.
>
>   Will someone please pass me a pointer on what I need to read to get X and
> Xfce running again? According to /var/log/packages, xfce-4.0.5 is installed.

At the very least, you could "man Xorg" to read about how to start up, and there's even a short description about why Xorg exists, and why Slackware has (apparently) chosen to make it the X server of choice.

xinit: Did you look in /usr/X11R6/bin/?  If not, I'm pretty sure you don't *need* it to run, at the very least, X itself.