Various CVS HEAD problems

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Mon Aug 2 22:30:09 CEST 2004

 From a fairly clean install from CVS HEAD as of this morning on a
RHEL 3 (update 2) system with gtk+ 2.2.x, dual-head setup.  Note
that I completely removed the installed versions and re-installed
everything from a clean build.

- Using Balou splash screen, the background image overwrites the
   splash screen before everything is loaded, rather than how it
   used to be there showing the names of the apps being started
   until they had all bee started.  The Mice splash screen seems
   to work properly (but does not scroll the app names along the
   bottom).

- I've lost all icons in the settings manager (xfce-setting-show)
   except a file folder for "File manager".  These used to all work
   a couple of weeks ago.  Starting on the command line does not
   give any output.

- On :0.1, if I click on the Settings icon in the panel, the settings
   window appears on :0.0, even if the command in the launcher is
   "env DISPLAY=:0.1 xfce-setting-show".  Other apps (like xfprint4)
   work just fine.

- For several weeks now, the "System Buttons" icons in the panel
   have been tiny little versions of their former normally-sized
   selves.  Screen capture of panel attached.  What settings
   control these icons?

- I think this is an X issue rather than Xfce, but I'll mention it
   in case there is any way for Xfce to work around it.  When moving
   the cursor from one display to the other (say :0.0 to :0.1), if
   the cursor does not enter any windows (in focus-follows mouse mode),
   then keyboard shortcuts to change the workspace get applied to the
   "old" display, not where the cursor currently resides.  I'm pretty
   much used to making sure to run the cursor over a window or the
   panel, but it would be nice not to have to do that.

- Some of the above may be due to my near total lack of understanding
   of how the theming stuff works, particularly icon themes.  I can't
   seem to see any difference when I change icon themes.  Am I missing
   something, or not running something I should be running?

- I've noticed that when building everything, much more compiling
   than necessary happens.  My guess is that this is due (at least
   partially) to including headers from the installed location
   (the --prefix directory) rather than from the source directories.
   As each module builds and installs, it sets a new timestamp on
   the installed headers, causing subsequent modules to require
   many more rebuilds than is really necessary.  I haven't proven
   this theory, so I could be wrong.

That's all I have for now.  I have to say that I am very pleased with
the general quality of CVS HEAD given the rate of changes on it.  Keep
up the good work!

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA