No desktop menu in Gentoo's CVS ebuild

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 2 22:26:51 CEST 2004

Andrew Conkling wrote:

>Some time ago (probably on Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:27:57 -0400)
>"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> had the occasion to say the following:
>

>>either that, or your locate database hasn't gotten updated properly
>>since you installed it. the menu is built by default, not sure why it
>>wouldn't build or install.  try it again, with a clean tree, and pay
>>special attention to configure and make output (make sure configure says
>>it's being built, and make sure 'make' goes into modules/menu/ when
>>building).
>>

>How do I "pay special attention"?  Is there a way I can capture output (I'm thinking '&> file') and then use an editor/grep to search for specific strings?

that'll do.  or just run each step one at a time.  configure will tell
you when it finishes what it's going to build - if it says "no" for the
menu, there's something really odd going on.  as for the compilation
itself, just watch the output to see if the stuff in modules/menu get
built, and then, afterwards, make sure there is a .so file in
modules/menu/.libs.  'make install' will install
libxfce4_desktop_menu.so to $prefix/lib/xfce4/modules, so make sure that
happens.  if you want to redirect all this to a file and look at it
after the fact (if that's easier), by all means, go for it.

    -brian