Mozilla, Fedora

Thu Apr 22 00:51:02 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 17:35, Ted Parks wrote:
> While I have used Xfce with RedHat and Slackware, I am new to using it
> with Fedora Core 1. When I try to launch Mozilla and Mozilla Mail from
> Xfce, I get the profile manager. But neither selecting a profile nor
> creating a new one allows Mozilla or Mozilla Mail to open--the profile
> manager just sits there.
>
> Forgive me if this is a frequent problem. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Ted Parks

That is not a problem with xfce, but a known problem with newer versions
of Mozilla and Firefox. I use FC1 and have the same issue.

If you search the Fedora list archives there are some posts (just
recently as I recall) as to the use of either alternate RPMS (ie. from
www.fedora.us) or shell scripts that get around the problem. Some of the
scripts are for Firefox, but I suspect that they will also work with
Mozilla. There have also been some posts on the Mozilla lists/forums
with possible solutions.

One option, which may or may not work for you, is a script that I use
with Firefox:

#!/bin/sh
export FLASH_GTK_LIBRARY=libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
firefox -remote 'ping()'
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
firefox -remote "openURL(${1}, new-window)" &
else
#open new instance
firefox $1 &
fi

The initial export is something that I picked up from I cannot recall
where, but has to do with flash performance issues...

Basically, the script checks to see if there is already a Firefox
instance running. If so, then it uses the '-remote' argument. This gets
around the profile lock issue.

I put the above script in ~/bin.  Call it whatever you want, set it to
be executable (chmod +x ScriptFileName) and then use that command to
execute your browser.

I believe that you can replace 'firefox' with 'mozilla' in the above,
but I have not tried it. So you may have to do some testing/debugging.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz