nautilus in xfce4 problems

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 16 20:16:45 CEST 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Matt Lancereau wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Nikola Pizurica wrote:
>
> > I have problem with Nautilus and XFce4 in Fedora Core 2 Test 1, in both
> > xfce4 4 and 4.1 from CVS.
> > When I launch Nautilus, it shows without icons, in fact all files have
> > grey, non-aliased default icon that I remeber from Gnome 1.x. Starting
> > Nautilus from Gnome is OK. Also, some KDE apps have no icons, like
> > Konqeror. It shows icons, in file window, but icons for File, Edit,...
> > are missing.
> > I've tried changing icon themes from within Gnome, but still I can't use
> > Nautilus from XFce4. Any ideas what's going on?
> >
> > Nikola

> Quote:
> You need to run gnome-settings-daemon now to get all the correct icons.
> If you're not running the full GNOME desktop, then you will have to start it
> up before any other GNOME applications, then background it.

problem with that is you can't run both gnome-settings-daemon and
xfce-mcs-manager simultaneously (as apparently the XSETTINGS spec only
allows for one such daemon).  if you're not running xfce-mcs-manager,
most of xfce will break.

> Hack:
> cd /usr/.../share/icons/
> mv hicolor hicolor.orig
> ln -s icon_theme hicolor

yeah, that should do the trick, though, as you say, it's a bit of a
hack.  xfce 4.2 will have proper icon theming.  actually, i have a copy
of the xfce UI settings plugin that can set the global gtk icon theme.
it needs some work, but should hopefully make its way into CVS soon.

in the meantime i might write a simple cmdline app to set an arbitrary
icon theme name (not much less of a hack, but nicer than messing with
system files).

	-brian