xfwm4 segmentation fault . . . Progress

Jeff Hill jhill at hrpost.com
Thu Apr 15 14:08:08 CEST 2004

I now have Xfce4 running with no segmentation faults !

Based on your comments, I removed every major .deb package Xfce4 depends
on except xlibs and installed from source (atk, gtk+, fontconfig,
freetype, atk, pango, xft, etc.) [Major pain and agony getting those to
install properly.]

I'm still getting "CRITICAL" messages. The initial series of these
messages are all "Unable to stat . . . .xfce4/settings/*.xml". The rest of
the critical messages are related to GdkPixbuf, GLib-GObject and
desktop-menu-stub

I found a taskbar.xml file from an my Debian sid install of xfce4.0.4
using the .deb packages, and eliminated the associated error message
copying it to the new install, but I'm still missing the gtk.xml,
keyboard.xml, mouse.xml, etc.

I'm uncertain how critical these messages are?

Now, the only major, obvious problem on my end is to make the Debian
system aware that all of these X11 dependencies are met (without hacking
the pkgcache.bin) so I can install X packages. (I know, that's not a
question for this list.)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction re segmentation fault. I
just hope the "critical" messages don't make Xfce4 unstable.

Jeff