gtk2 2.4 and XFce4

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 2 23:33:10 CEST 2004

Nikola Pižurica wrote:

>I wanted to upgrade to gtk2 2.4. I'm not doing anything important on my
>machine, so I wanted to try it.
>Red Hat 9, curently with gtk2 2.3.2 from Ximian unstable.
>Anyway, I've upgraded rpms of atk and pango, which were listed as
>missing dependencies, and after upgrading to gtk 2.4, I couldn't boot to
>Xfce4 at all (in fact not even gdm showed up). X session was stuck with
>X cursor.
>What am I missing? What else I need to ugrade? Should I upgrade Xfce4?
>gtk engines?

as olivier mentioned, older versions of gdm do indeed have gtk 2.4
issues. also, you _do_ need to reinstall all your theme engines,
probably from source, since i doubt there are RPMs for them that install
to the proper location. the theme engines get installed to a
version-specific directory under /usr/lib/gtk-2.0. you can try just
copying them, but if it breaks, you get to keep the pieces ^_~.
personally, i'd recommend trying to put together a base gnome 2.6 setup.
that should give you all you need. note that xfce 4.0.4 still has some
issues with gtk 2.4. look for 4.0.5 soon for fixes.

-brian