opening a app on an other virtual desktop

Philip Dean pddean at engineering.uiowa.edu
Tue Sep 30 20:02:50 CEST 2003

Quoting Sander Balkenende <sbalk at dds.nl>:

> Dear list,

Hi!

> question: How do I start an app on a different virtual desktop than 1? I want
> to start my mail app on desktop 2 from ~/Desktop/Autostart

There are two thing you could try here.  One is to use kstart!  I know several
other people use it along XFce to provide this function.  Also you could
checkout xfce4-session from the CVS.  It is a session manager and is very
solid.  It just didn't quite make it into the 4.0 release.  If your mail
program is session aware it will be restarted on the correct desktop each time
you log in.

> slightly related: how do I start gkrellm2 sticky? Now I have to click an
> press alt-F10

GKrellM should remember its settings each time it is started.  If it isn't I
am not sure what to tell you.  Again though, kstart works with XFce4.

> is there a sort of wrapper script capable of providing this sort of
> functionality? Like kstart in kde.

> Thanks,

Your welcome!

Philip Dean

-=+=-
They say if your PC isn't working reboot...
Hummm.... I haven't rebooted in months!!
-=+=-
Using Linux since 11/99 | http://www.linux.org
Linux user #240138 | http://counter.li.org/
Linux-Mandrake | http://www.linux-mandrake.com