xfce 4.0.0: xterm/xfterm4 and QT (licq)

Andreas Ntaflos ant at overclockers.at
Mon Sep 29 00:17:08 CEST 2003

Hello list,

  I just installed the latest xfce4 4.0.0 on my FreeBSD 4.8 box and I am
  really impressed. Was a bit hard to find all the different xfce4 apps
  (like xfce4-utils, xfce4-desktop, etc) and make them work together
  but everything seems to be smooth now, apart from some minor or major
  (?) issues that give me headaches, which is of course the reason why I
  write this.

  xfterm4:
  I understand that this is a shell script used to decide which kind of
  terminal will be opened upon execution (based on $TERMCAP and what
  other terminals are installed on the system). Now I like to use the
  standard xterm and have my $TERMCAP set to it. And indeed xfterm4
  does start up an xterm as it should. The Problem: it seems to
  completely ignore anything I set up in my ~/.Xdefaults file (like
  faceName, fontSize, saveLines, etc) and even when starting an xterm
  from an xterm it ignores all my carefully crafted ( :-) )settings and
  preferences.

  Why is this? Why does xfce make xterm ignore it's main configuration
  file (in fact every X application's configuration file)?

  licq-qt:
  Another problem I encountered is that in LICQ (which is a QT based
  application AFAIK) the fonts it uses for displaying the contact list
  and the like are WAY to large to be useful. Is there a way to change
  font sizes of applications from xfce? Or is there any configuration
  file for such things? I know this should probably be asked on a QT
  mailing list...but maybe someone has experienced similar problems with
  xfce4 and licq?

  These are probably not the only problems I am going to have with xfce4
  but the most urgent ones.

  Using for example ICEWM (my long time window manager) everything works
  as expected (.Xdefaults). I'd really wish to have xfce4 running as
  smoothly as unter icewm so I can use xfce4 from now on. I really liked
  what I saw as first impressions from it. Lovely and very well done!

  I apologize for this rather lengthy mail, any input or help is greatly
  appreciated!

TIA
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos | "A cynic is a man who knows the price of
	ant at overclockers.at   | everything, and the value of nothing."