Custom background

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Thu Sep 25 20:10:26 CEST 2003

Op do 25-09-2003, om 19:35 schreef Robert Kruus:
> It is rumored that on Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:39:57 -0400
> Yan Seiner <yan at cardinalengineering.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to have a changing background?  I download live pics from
> > US National Parks and use xloadimage to display them in the root
> > window.  This works fine in gnome once I disable nautilus, but it does
> > not work at all in xfce.  Is it possible to have a live background?
> >
> > In other words, xloadimage -onroot $IMAGE doesn't have any effect at
> > all.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --Yan
> >
> If you are using xfdesktop, I run put this script in the autostart folder:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> while test "$DISPLAY" != ""
> do
>  kill -USR1 `pgrep xfdesktop`
>  sleep 1h
> done
> exit 0

FYI, you can simply run xfdesktop to make it change images.

Slightly different, but following the same principle:

1. copy an image to myimage.png
2. choose myimage.png as background
3. periodically copy a new image to myimage.png and run 'xfdesktop'

In this way you can also use xplanet and similar programs to create the
background by outputting to a file and rerunning xfdesktop.

	Jasper