Themes ony work as root ?

James McDonald james at jamesmcdonald.id.au
Thu Sep 25 08:18:20 CEST 2003

When things work as root but fail as a standard user. This usually means
that the user account cannot update settings files which may be owned by
root or in a location where standard users cannot write to.

I tend to to first make sure that everything in the home directory of the
user account having the diffuculty is owned by the correct user by running
the following as root.

chown username:username /home/username -Rv

Then I locate any global settings files that are failing to be written by
calling the configuration utility with strace.
i.e.

strace config_util | tee myout

The output of strace as captured in myout will show all locations that the
configuration utility is attempting to write to.

If this doesn't show any thing or you can't decipher the output of strace
do a web search for the particular configuration files associated with the
settings you are attempting to change and then give your standard user
write permissions to them.

HTH.

James