Terminal Programs and Icons

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Wed Sep 24 06:01:57 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 20:51, Bob Snyder wrote:
> Not trying to merge two threads here, but I'd like to know which
> terminal programs have icons build into them so that they'll show up
> uniquely in the iconbox.
>
> I currently use rxvt 2.6.3 which does not have an icon. I often have 4
> or more of them open at the same time which gets pretty boring on the
> iconbox. Hmm. Well maybe 4 or more terminal icons isn't much better ;-)
>
> And of those that do have icons (if any), what features make that one
> different/better/worse than any others.

dunno about icons, but what I look for in a terminal is:

fast -- I clicked the terminal button because I wanted to use the
terminal, not cause I want to go get a cup of coffee. This rules out
gnome-terminal and KDE's terminal.

functional -- not much to say here. Gotta be able to configure a
scrollbar, non-blinking cursor, and a lot of scrollback buffer.

purty -- I like pseudo-transparency with color tint and shading. I'd
really like to have AA fonts too, but see fast :-)

aterm is really good on all fronts. rxvt is pretty good. Eterm is
alright, but I hated configuring it.

> Thanks,
>
> Bob S.

Jack Coates