Ok, I know this was touched on before..

hugh d fegely wolffe at cavtel.net
Tue Sep 23 05:18:41 CEST 2003

it's been a while since I used KDE/Gnome, but I do seem to recall when adding items to the main panel, that there was an option there under the "right click" properties which allowed one to select an icon for said application/button on the panel.

This was in Gnome 1.x -- like I said, it's been a while.

I was using WindowMaker for the last year, and it gives the user the option, but you have to have the correct icon/pixmap directory set up in the configuration files for it, you can't just go browsing anywhere for any icon.

This second option is one I wouldn't mind seeing, if it were possible. Even if it's just a folder inside the user's home directory (or under the .xfce4 directory) where a user can put the icon of choice, named by program name.. so if I copied a generic gnome "email.png" file to ~/.xfce4/icons/sylpheed.png it would then take over as the default for sylpheed.

Just throwing ideas out there..