Ok, I know this was touched on before..

hugh d fegely wolffe at cavtel.net
Mon Sep 22 09:32:29 CEST 2003

Yes, that's my point. Sure it would be nice if everyone of the programs out there would fall into order on a standard icon representation built in, but then (as I pointed out before) we start mimicking that other operating system..

Every other window manager I have tried has given at least some default option for the user to choose which icon gets used for a specific application, even if it has to be a specific style, or in a specific directory.

Also, not all programmers are genius artists, and they may not have any sort of icon designed for their program. So are they supposed to suddenly stop and create something? And, even if they did come up with something simple, with the various options for other icons out there (just like the many variations offered in the XFce panel) why can't the user be given the choice to the icons he wants displayed?

Even if it's tied into the XFce panel, so that when we choose a new item for the panel, that icon gets represented in all XFce modules..

Just a thought from a simple user.. I have always liked XFce, as it is different than everything else out there, easy to use, and looks sharp. I just thought the idea of the desktop environment/window manager/ etc etc was to make the user's experience a simpler and more pleasant one.. this is just something that I think would do just that.

I'll go back to lurking now.