Disk Performance Plugin

roger rstmp at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 08:30:58 CEST 2003

Hi guys,

I've just written (for myself) a plug in (DiskPerf) displaying disk/partition
performance based on the rsect/wsect data provided by the kernel through
/proc/partitions.

Here is a snapshot of my panel, the DiskPerf monitor bars being surrounded by
the "official" systemload and netload plug ins:
	ftp://rmlx.dyndns.org/pub/doc/misc/panel-diskperf.png

In there:
- both "Read" and "Write" disk rates (MB/s) are displayed for each of my 2 IDE
disks (hda & hdb).
- transfer rates (Read+Write combined) are displayed for my 2 swap partitions.

Here is a snapshot of the option dialog:
	ftp://rmlx.dyndns.org/pub/doc/misc/diskperf-dialog.png

Note: I didn't bother with color configuration since I've never been able to
set any color for the other plug ins. The indicator is gray whatever color I
try. The volume control scale is gray as well.

If someone is interested in getting this plug in in order to make it
"official" (i.e. hosting it, improving/fixing it, adding his/her
credits,...), please let me know and I'll provide you with the source code
(C).

Note:
- This plug in has only been running on my system (Mandrake 9.1) equipped with
IDE disks.
- The above snapshots are on my home computer. If it doesn't work - this may
be due to the machine not being up or the ADSL connection down - just try a
moment later.

Cheers,
Roger