Appreciation to the XFce team

Brian Masinick masinick at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 03:37:42 CEST 2003

Andy wrote:

>Dear Oliver and team
>
>I wanted to take a quick opportunity to express my thanks and appreciation to
>you all for having developed such a wonderful WM/DE.
>I have just recently taken to using XFce 3.8.18 (I know that it is no longer
>supported in favour of v.4, but I really enjoy the interface) and use it as
>my full-time WM after having spent most of my Linux life using Gnome and KDE.
>Now that I am using Slackware 9.0 exclusively as well, it just seems
>absolutely spot-on to use a WM/DE that is as light and speedy and as
>not-in-my-face as Slackware is, and XFce fits that bill precisely without the
>ultra-minimalism of Flux or Blackbox.
>So, no contribution to this list really, just a big thanks and a high vote of
>appreciation to each of you.
>
>Best wishes
>- Andy

I ought to get on this bus, too!  I've been using XFCE fairly steadily
for about a year now, using XFCE 3, starting with 3.8.12 (I believe) on
a Debian system and a similar version on a Mandrake system.  More
recently, I had been happily and successfully using XFCE 3.8.18 on my
Debian system (and probably the same release on Mandrake or whatever
they ship with Mandrake 9.1).

A few months ago, I happened to spot a CVS version of XFCE 4.0 in the
unstable Debian tree so I tried it out.  At first I had a few problems.
My problems turned out to be that I did not have all of the necessary
libraries installed.  Once I figured out and resolved that problem, the
CVS version worked pretty well.  But when I later got a chance to try
the RC 1, RC 2, and RC 3 versions, I became hooked on Version 4.0.  I
now use XFCE 4.0 RC 3 as my regular desktop environment and I also
downloaded the 3.99.3 RPMs (XFCE 4.0 RC 3) on my Mandrake partition so
that I can use it when I'm on that system, too.

I eagerly await the final release, and I thank all of you for doing such
a complete job and creating such a flexible desktop environment, minus
the excess bloat so common on other desktop environments.

--
Brian Masinick
mailto:masinick at yahoo.com