Can't Start xfwm4

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Wed Sep 10 00:29:43 CEST 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, John Lowell wrote:

> I would very much like to use xfwm4 as my stand-alone window manager.
> All of my experience with stand-alone window managers to date is with
> ones that function along the lines of a fluxbox. You make appropriate
> entries in ~/.xintrc you run startx and, voila, you're able to open
> programs. I wouldn't bring this question here at all if I didn't feel
> that xfwm4 had something more to offer me than fluxbox. Assuming a fresh
> install of my distro and all of the needed packages, what do I need to
> do to get this thing to work?

	All you should need is something like this -

xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
# xftaskbar4&
xfce4-iconbox&
xfdesktop&

That should be enough to get what you're looking for.  I included the
taskbar, but commented out, so you can see which one you prefer.  I got
this by looking at the default xfce4 xinitrc file located in /etc/xfce4/.
There's more in that file but you should be able to just run the things
you want without much difficulty.

--
Joe "Kuramarujo" Klemmer
Hoping to make Ozeki someday.