distribution question

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Sep 9 13:10:06 CEST 2003

Op di 09-09-2003, om 12:54 schreef Ken Moffat:
> thomas schoenhoff wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >"XFce is a lightweight desktop environment for various UNIX  systems." <xfce at xfce.org> schrieb am 08.09.03 23:40:08:
> >
> >I made some debian and slackware packages that I was going to share with
> >whoever (on personal web server) but was advised that to do that might
> >violate licensing for redistribution. Any opinions? What might the legal
> >requirements be?
> >
> >Could you become a bit more precisely, what does this mean:
> >
> >AFAIK as long as you are packing GPL'ed software there is no problem to redistribute/sell these packages to anybody! Only if there are some elements in Slackware (don't know a damm about this distri!) which are not GPL'ed you might run into troubles. Make clear that everybody knows that your debs are inofficial and redistribution might be a safe bet!
> >

> >Thomas
> >

> These are just packages (deb and tgz) for libranet 2.8 and slackware 9
> of xfce4_3.99.3. The warning was that redistribution without the gpl
> would violate  the license.

Ok, let me state this once and for all. It is perfectly legal to
distribute binary packages of XFce.

You are providing extra service on top of the sources we provide. You
didn't make a derivative work for which you need to provide source code

You can fulfill any obligation you have regarding source distribution by
pointing at our SF repository or any of our mirror sites.

Thanks,
	Jasper