Can't Start xfwm4

John Lowell johnlowell at ameritech.net
Mon Sep 8 21:26:48 CEST 2003

Trying to start xfwm4 as a stand-alone window manager together with the settings package as recommended in the manual, I created an ~/.xinitrc with one line

exec xfwm4

and get output from XFree86

xfwm4: error while loading shared libraries: libstartup-notification-1.so.0: can not open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is reference being made here to a missing libstartup-notification-1.so.0 or to something its trying to open? I'm unclear on this point. In any event, what's the remedy I'll need to administer to fix the problem?

John Lowell