Odd window focus behaviour

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Mon Sep 8 21:06:50 CEST 2003

John,

I do have this behaviour with "notepad" under wine, but it's not
specific to xfwm4 (unless I misunderstood your problem). What see is
that I focus the text editing area, then open the search window, then
close the window, and the focus returns to the main window, although if
I type, nothing shows.

It does the same under kwin (kde3) and metacity (gnome-2.2). Actually, I
doubt they react diferently because the window manager only focus top
level windows, it's up to the application to then set focus explicitely
to its subwindows.

You can check that very easily: to switch from xfwm4 to kwin,

killall xfwm4 && kwin &

to switch to metacity

killall kwin && metacity &

to get back to xfwm4

killall metacity && xfwm4 &

In all cases, behaviour is the same. I vote for a bug in wine.

Cheers,
Olivier.

Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org