XFCE4 FreeBSD 5.1 install problems

Bram Van Dam gandalfbram at pandora.be
Mon Sep 1 22:41:35 CEST 2003

At 22:33 1/09/2003, you wrote:
><snip>
>
>Right, so now we are back to square one. The package cannot find
>libxfce4util. So, can you try to find the libxfce4util-1.0.pc file? It
>is installed in ${prefix}/lib/pkgconfig/. Do you have it?

It is installed and it is in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig I believe. I have
properly set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH as well.

>If you don't there was a problem with the libxfce4util install. If you
>do have it, check the contents and see what the version number is.

Checking the contents sounds like a plan. Though I'm 99.99% certain that it
is the correct version number.

>If the version number is correct, you have to tell pkg-config where to
>look. In bash do 'export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'. In
>csh it is something like 'setenv PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'.
>
>If that doesn't work, you're pkg-config is broken ...

Then I'm afraid it's probably broken. The FreeBSD port uses pkg-config
0.15.0 I believe (may be mistaking), is this version known to have problems
and should I switch to an older version?

On a side note, I have tried a few unorthodox methods as well, to no avail.
I was, erhm, kind (or sadistic?) enough to massacre the configure file and
remove the part where it checks for the file, but then new errors emerge so
I guess that's not a very good thing to do.

I think I'm going to destroy my pkg-config.

Thx,
  - Bram.