Starting XFce4 without kdm or gdm

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com
Fri Oct 31 23:12:33 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 17:11, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:55:55 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo
> <pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com> wrote:
>
> > Up until this point I have either used kdm or gdm to login to XFce-4,
> > depending on whether I'm using Mandrake or Red Hat. Is there any other
> > Desktop Manager I could use that's lighter, but would still allow for a
> > user/password login?
>
> AFAIK you have two options:
>
> 1) xdm
>
> 2) Text-based login
>
> If you go with xdm, be aware that although it looks quite ugly default (at
> least under debian) it can quite easily be made rater elegant...

I've never used xdm. In earlier versions of Linux that I have tried (as
far back as 1995), I always boot-up up to the shell prompt and typed in
'startx'. More recently, I've gotten lazy. ;0)

I'll try xdm and see how it handle the login process. I'm not concerned
about its looks, just getting the job done.

Thanks,

Paul