Getting xscreensaver to load automatically

Ralph Alvy ralvy at warpmail.net
Fri Oct 31 03:54:19 CET 2003

Here's how I finally got xscreensaver to load automatically when logging into
xfce4 with gdm. (As a background to this, you'll find that if you use gdm as
your login manager, putting a link to xscreensaver in ~/.xfce4/Autostart or
~Desktop/Autostart won't work.)

I found this script: /etc/gdm/Sessions/Xfce4. It read like this on my Debian/
Libranet system:

	#!/bin/sh
	#
	# Make Xfce4 selectable in the GDM menu
	#

	/usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager
	/usr/bin/xfwm4 --daemon
	/usr/bin/xftaskbar4 &
	/usr/bin/xfdesktop &
	exec /usr/bin/xfce4-panel

All I did was change it to this:

	#!/bin/sh
	#
	# Make Xfce4 selectable in the GDM menu
	#
	/usr/bin/xscreensaver -nosplash &
	/usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager
	/usr/bin/xfwm4 --daemon
	/usr/bin/xftaskbar4 &
	/usr/bin/xfdesktop &
	exec /usr/bin/xfce4-panel

Now xscreensaver load automatically when I log into xfce4 with gdm.