What is md5?

Marcus von Appen mva at sysfault.org
Wed Oct 29 19:07:48 CET 2003

Hi Alexander,

on Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Alexander wrote:

> Hi to all,
> Just downloaded the tarball of Xfce-4.0.0
> There *.md5 files inside.
> Should I use the somehow? Which way? Please, suggest a link with info.

Using md5 files for verifying the correctness of packages (files, w/e) is
always a good idea.

Those MD5 files you found are the hash sums of the files.

man md5 or man md5sum (or searching the internet for md5) will help you how
to use those files to verify the correctness of the packages.

Regards
Marcus

--
We don't understand the software, and sometimes we don't understand the
hardware, but we can *see* the blinking lights!