the file manager

Amarpreet Rattan arattan at math.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 15 18:23:47 CEST 2003

hello all,

Well, i have been using xfce for about a week and I think that it is
great.  It seems like you get all the (useful) functionality of
gnome/kde without it bogging the system down.  I was getting a little sick
and tired of watching gnome2 by slower on my brand new machine than gnome1
is on a 5 year old machine.

Anyways, I have some questions/comments.  To me, it appears that the only
drawback is xffm (the file manager).  I guess that i have built up some
gui habits that don't seem to translate well in the file manager and I am
having some difficulty customizing it.  If someone could help me with the
following problems that would be great.

1)  if you shift and highlight more than 1 file and then want to
move/copy/delete the file, right clicking on the file manager seems to
mess up that selection (i.e. if you highlight files a,b,c,d and then right
click to do something and you happen to be over file e, then a,b,c,d will
no longer be highlighted and e will get highlighted).  I found that the
way to operate on a group of highlighted files is to go to the toolbar and
pick 'cut' or something, but that kind of sucks having to go to the
toolbar.

2)  is there some way of setting mime-types in xffm?  i mean, when double
click on a file, it just asks me if I want to use the program I last used
on a file.  is there some way of telling xffm that if the file has a .jpg
extension ALWAYS use imagemagik or something?

thanks

amps