xfce modularity

Karol Krenski mimooh at inf.sgsp.edu.pl
Mon Oct 13 18:13:01 CEST 2003

Hi list,

1. The idea of modularity of xfce4 is great. However, it's aim should be
let people take one module and fit their needs. I would like to use just
xfwm4 window manager with rox desktop. All window managers I used always
showed list of opened windows under 2 or 3 mouse button. This
functionality in xfce4 is moved to xfce4-desktop module it seems, which
turns off rox desktop. Any hope for moving 2 or 3 mouse button "show
windows list" to xfwm4? I know I can use xfce4-panel and other modules,
but think of people who only want xfce4's window manager alone - it
misses functionality.

I used WindowMaker for years. However I am looking for freedesktop.org
compilant manager and WindowMaker is not.

2. Any hope for "Keep on top" feature in xfwm4? Some window managers do
it. It's really needed if one works with gimp and want to keep main gimp
window above all.

3. Strace let me find it's ~/.themes/xfwm4/default.keys/keythemerc
that controls my keybindings. Shouldn't the name start with ~/.xfwm4
rather? That would be easier for people to look for their config files.
Unless ~/.themes is suggested by freedesktop.org.

Well, I may sound complaining. The truth is xfce4 simply rulez! Love
xfwm4 except for the little inconveniencies. WindowMaker development
slowed down a lot. There's a chance for xfwm4 to become window manager
of choice.

regards,
mimooh