Clock in status bar

Christian Sparka christian.sparka at gmx.de
Sun Oct 12 23:55:33 CEST 2003

> Is there a way to add a clock to the notification area of the status
> bar?

If you are talking about the taskbar:
This topic has been discussed here before (subject: Can I get a clock in
the taskbar?), and the answer was: No.
Here is a workaround, using escape sequences to manipulate a xterm title.
Start a xterm with the following command:

while true; do
    echo -ne "\033]0;`date +%T`\007"
    sleep 1
done

and you have a (digital) clock in your taskbar.
(Not sure whether it works this way on all systems, I have bash and gnu
date on linux.)
If you want to start it automatically, you need probably
two scripts: The first one reads as above, the second one should sit in
your~/Desktop/Autostart and read like this:

xterm -iconic -e firstscript.sh

Yes, somehow dirty...
hth
Christian