XFCE4 at last: queries

Philip Webb purslow at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 10 07:36:46 CEST 2003

031010 Biju Chacko wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:37:16 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
>> another suggestion came to mind while i slept today.
>> there needs to be a user-friendly way to choose which bits to start:
>> editing  ~/.xfce4/xinitrc  is ok for me, but not ordinary users out there.
>> esp i really don't like taskbars (M$ ugh!), but love the iconbox.
>> another item for the settings dialog ?
> You're quite right about this. xfce4-session takes care of this very well.
> Choosing start-up applications is as simple
> as making sure that they are running when you save the session.

i plan to try session management once things settle down in the new box;
it works well on my present box via KDM & XFCE 3 .

Gentoo marks XFCE 4 as 'unstable', but XFCE4-session as 'fails' (whatever).
i'm not sure how upto-date their version of the latter is,
but i can download & compile it myself, if need be.
IIRC there were some serious problems with it at first, but it's ok now.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca