Feature Request: quick lock for panel autohide

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Fri Oct 10 04:54:31 CEST 2003

I like to set the panel to autohide. But sometimes I want to be able to
glance at it just to see, for example, what the Netload meter is
reading. Or what might be running on another workspace. I'd like a way
to very quickly lock the panel in the visible state, and just as quickly
unlock it back to normal. I'm way too lazy to open the panel properties
and change the autohide property.

I suspect that this could be done using the Two-State Launcher (although
I wouldn't know what to set the commands to). But that takes up panel
space unnecessarily. How about something like a middle click on a panel
'handle'? Or how about adding another selection for the System Buttons?
I don't use the 'Info' button much any more. That button could be
configured to toggle the 'autohide lock' on and off. And there's no
reason why there needs to be only four choices for the system buttons.

Alternate ideas welcomed.

Bob S.