idesk not showing desktop icons

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Tue Oct 7 05:40:38 CEST 2003

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:58:06 -0500, Linksocc (Adrian) wrote:

> I'll just wait until a better version of Xfce come and have better
> support for iDesk, but thanks for the answer.

That may not happen. Manipulating the root window directly has disadvantages
that have caused it to become a less popular method. Today, xfdesktop, Nautilus,
ROX Filer, and KDE all use a fullscreen window to simulate the backdrop. idesk
will not work with any of them.

In the case of xfdesktop, there is no plan to remove the fullscreen backdrop
window AFAIK. I have to say, though, that since xfdesktop doesn't show either
launchers or minimized apps, it doesn't seem to really need the fullscreen
backdrop. I'm not sure what Jazman's plans for 4.2 are though.

Lucca Roccia is working on a alternative desktop manager for XFce which will not
use this technique. It will also provide desktop launchers similar to idesk's.
You may want to wait for that.

-- b