From icewm to xfce4: CTRL+ESC

Gerd Bavendiek gerhard.bavendiek at fujitsu-siemens.com
Mon Oct 6 14:43:20 CEST 2003

Hi,

a few weeks ago I switched to xfce4 after using icewm for quite a
couple of years. With hints from this list and the FAQ I finally
configured things quite nice.

One remaining issue was root-tail version 0.2 which I was used to
start like this:

sudo root-tail -g 100x10+490+600 /var/log/messages,white /var/log/maillog,yellow /home/bav/.xsession-errors,green &

This did not work any longer due to xfce4's handling of the root
window. Now I use

rxvt -ip -fn 6x10 -geometry 89x11-0-1 -e sudo tail -f /var/log/messages /home/bav/.xsession-errors

which works, of course without highlighting the output.

There is one remaining issue. My fingers are really accustomed to hit
<CTRL><ESC> to fire up the main menu. As far as I could find out there
is no way in xfce4 to get the main menu without using the mouse.

Hopefully I'm wrong here - if yes, please tell me how. If not, please
consider this for the next release ...

Thanks !

Gerd