Problems with XFce4 on Mandrake 9.1

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com
Sat Oct 4 19:11:48 CEST 2003

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 14:59:41 +0000
"memento no me acuerdo" <n_memento at hotmail.com> graced me with:

> To: xfce at xfce.org
> Subject: Problems with XFce4 on Mandrake 9.1
> Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 14:59:41 +0000
> Sender: xfce-bounces at xfce.org
>
> Installing the rpm´s, and making the changes in kdm, starting it a
> black screen with a superior bar appears. After a while a error
> message appear "don´t support new functionalities of
> www.freedesktop.org" (or similarity), and acepting it, the inferior
> bar appears, but nothings works (xffm for example), only the
> mozilla. Someone can help me?

A couple of questions for you:

1) What RPM's did you use? For Red Hat or Mandrake?

2) Did you setup 'kdm' to allow you to pick XFce4 as a session by
using directions from

http://clevername.homeip.net/xfce4 ??

Mine is slightly different than his in that I have 'kdm' reading from
'~/.xfce4/xinitrc' instead of '/usr/bin/startxfce4', both of which are
usually the same.

It maybe that you don't have all the components loading. Check the
site I gave you and compare the contents of the default 'startxfce4'
script with that of your own 'startxfce4' or 'xinitrc' scripts. You
will most likely see where your problem lies, then.

HTH,

Paul