Xfce4 on SuSE 7.2? - yes!

Klaus Neumann klaus.neumann at verizon.net
Thu Oct 2 21:25:10 CEST 2003

Scott Jones wrote:

>On Wednesday 01 October 2003 15:01, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>

>>I had it installed on a stock RH 7.2 with latest GTK+-2.2 and Xft2.
>>Without even being root on the system, so I guess it's doable ;)
>>

>It's doable, just painful.

Yes, it was a pain in the butt, especially because I had to download
everything at home, burn it on CD, take it to the lab, and install
there. But it sure was worth the effort!

>On Wednesday 01 October 2003 07:56, Klaus Neumann wrote:
>

>>>requisite version of GTK2 (>=2.0.6) and all its associated packages
>>>(pango, atk, glib2, etc.) installed, it's going to be a whole lot of
>>>work to get to the point where you can start building XFce4, let
>>>alone install it.
>>>

>>Sounds like mission impossible. Tempting! I'll try it. Thank you!
>>

>Good luck to you.  Let us know how it turns out.

After I finally had everything compiled and installed, xfce4 refused to
start, telling me something like
exec : which:  not found,
refering to /usr/local/etc/xfce4/xinitrc.
So I commented out the part that made it look for the xfce-session,
which is not installed, and then it worked.
Finally a decent windowmanager at work! Thank you!

--
Best regards,
Klaus