X server already running? no session manager?

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com
Thu Oct 2 12:28:35 CEST 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:52:47 -0700 (PDT)
synaptical <synaptical at linuxquestions.net> graced me with:

> --- Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
>
> > How do you start your session? from a display manager
> > such as xdm, kdm or gdm or from a console?
>
> from console with startx, and with "exec startxfce4" in ~/.xinitrc.
>
> thanks for the quick reply.

Isn't the answer right here before us? Or am I still too much the
newbie? :0)

You are starting your Xserver at the console, by executing
'startxfce4'. It checks your ~/.xinitrc which tells the Xserver to
run through the process of starting XFce-4 again. The only components
that will load twice are those that were allowed to (or not kept from
doing so) by the developers. Hence, you have a module loaded twice
every time you start up XFce-4.

I don't have the 'exec startxfce4' command in my script file because
it *is* the 'startxfce4' script. So, to me it appears that you are
the 'startxfce4' script, plus any other environmental issues needed to
run what you need in the background, or in support for KDE or GNOME
environments, not a command to execute 'startxfce4'.

What do you think? Possible or I am just plain crazy?:0)

Paul