X server already running? no session manager?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed Oct 1 22:35:10 CEST 2003

Hi,

These are information messages. Nothing wrong about this.

** Message: cannot connect to session manager

This is because you are not running a session manager. xfce4-session is
still in CVS and was not part of the release.

** Message: xfdesktop: Running w/out session manager

Idem.

> the second prob. is that when xfce starts, there are 2 instances
> of /bin/sh /usr/local/etc/xfce4/xinitrc listed in ps aux.
> i can kill the second one, but what is calling it up? is that possibly
> related to the message about another X server running, when afaik none is?

How do you start your session? from a display manager such as xdm, kdm
or gdm or from a console?

Cheers,
Olivier.