gnome icon theme for xffm

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Wed Oct 1 04:28:53 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 20:36, Lionel Laratte wrote:
> Speaking of which: how does one install a new icon theme globally?

Fairly easy:
1- create a directory for the pixmaps under $PREFIX/share/xffm/pixmaps,
for example $PREFIX/share/xffm/pixmaps/gnome-industrial.
2- Put the new icons there.
3- Copy an existing mime.xml file into the directory. You can use
$PREFIX/share/xffm/pixmaps/gnome/mime.xml or
$PREFIX/share/xffm/pixmaps/plain/mime.xml.
4- Edit the mime.xml file replacing the names of the icons for those you
want to use. For example, a line which reads:
<mime id="xf_x-backup" icon="document.png"/>
Could be changed to :
<mime id="xf_x-backup" icon="a_different_icon.png"/>

But what happens if you want to add an icon type that does not exist?

All themes read the file $PREFIX/share/xffm/pixmaps/types.xml. To add a
new type, add a line like this to types.xml (within the mime_types
section):
<type id="new_type_id" ext="foo"/>
That would  associate "new_type_id" with all files that regexp ".*foo"
and you would need a line in the theme's mime.xml like this:
<mime id="new_type_id" icon="a_new_icon.png"/>

Nikola's tarball replaces some icons in the $PREFIX/share/xffm/pixmaps
directory, which were not thought of as themable. This will probably
change for 4.2 to make them themable.

regards,

Edscott