using two monitors with XFce4

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Sun Nov 30 20:13:36 CET 2003

Op Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:57:37 +0100 schreef Olivier Fourdan aan Remco Lubbers
<rpl at concepts.nl>, xfce list <xfce at xfce.org>:

>> speaking of window placement. I read somewhere that in xinerama-mode,
>> maximizing a window should be within 1 monitor, if I do that in XFce4, the
>> window maximizes over the 2 monitors. Does that mean the libxfcegui4 was not
>> compiled with the --enable-xinerama option? How can I tell if the option was
>> used during compile?
>  If maximized windows lay on the two monitors, then Xinerama support in
>  xfce is disabled.
>> Well, in my setup (1280x1024 & 1152x864 in xinerama mode) I cannot see or reach
>> the lower part of monitor2, so XFce is calibrated no monitor1's resolution
>> IMHO. If I setup both monitors in the same resolution everything is fine, but
>> maybe that's the missing --xinerama option as well?
>  Yes, Xinerama support in xfce takes care of that and adjust to each
>  screen size.
>> I have to upgrade to 4.0.1 anyway, so I might do that this weekend. If things
>> don't work as I want I will install from source and see what happens then....

Well, first I upgraded to 4.0.1 using Tod's rpm, but same thing, so I
completely deinstalled all rpm's and reinstalled from source, compiling
libxfcegui4 with the '--enable-xinerama' option, but still:
- maximizing a window places it over the 2 monitors,
  not showing the lower border on monitor 2
- windows will not snap to the edge of monitor 2
monitor1 is 1280x1024
monitor2 is 1024x768

Is this because of the static variant if libxinerama as it says in the readme?
Compilation of libxfcegui4 did not halt with any errormessages, so I presume
xinerama support is compiled in now? Or should I do the deed again following
the procedure in the readme?

Thanks again!

Remco

--
Remco P. Lubbers (rpl at concepts.nl)

| Linux kernel 2.4.22 | Mandrake 9.1 | XFce 4.0.0 | Pronto! 2.4.0 |