Where to run applications like terminal windows that I always want

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 21:44:41 CET 2003

I seem to be in a minority of one wanting to run X sessions like this but anyway
it's the way I like it.

What's the xfce4 equivalent of CDE's sessionetc file or xfce version 3's xfwmrc
file?

I want a simple place where I can run terminal windows (and maybe a couple of
other things) on a specified workspace in a specified position.  Should I just
hang this on the end of a customised xinitrc file?  This seems a bit wrong
somehow, one should be able to leave the default xinitrc file in place in
/etc/xfce4 and have a personal file which adds appliactions to the desktop.

I suppose I could also put things into Desktop/startmenu or whatever it is
but this again seems rather clumsy.  CDE's sessionetc is a much neater way
of doing it.

It would also be really cool to be able to save a set of desktop applications
and their positions like CDE can.  That's what I usually do on my work system.
Set it up as I want, save the desktop layout and then tell it to use that
layout on restarting.  You can then fine tune the layout if you want.

Doesn't anyone else ever want to start with the same desktop layout every time
they start X?

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)