XFCE doesn't have a usable graphical login!

Otto Wyss otto.wyss at orpatec.ch
Thu Nov 27 18:32:19 CET 2003

>From what I've gathered so far it isn't possible to use XFCE with a
graphical login.

1. XDM doesn't allow to shutdown (BTW it looks rather unsupported).
2. login.app isn't able to start my otherwise fully running X (with startx)
3. GDM requires a rather large part of gnome.
4. KDM ditto
5. WDM haven't checked but I don't expect any better

As a fact if anyone wants to build a fully graphical solution XFCE can't
be used. The unplesant choice are either to use the console for
startx/shutdown or to throw out XFCE and install gnome.

Since I pressed to get a solution within a week I need a hack which
shutdowns the system instead of closing X. If nobody can provide such a
hack I have to switch to gome, sorry.

O. Wyss

--
See "http://wxguide.sourceforge.net/" for ideas how to design your app