Why xfdesktop uses full screen window ?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed Nov 26 15:47:34 CET 2003

Op wo 26-11-2003, om 02:46 schreef - Kocil:
> Dear XFCE gurus.
>
> I want to know the reason behind xfdesktop using a full screen window.
>
> I know the cons:
> - 3rd party desktop icons can not work (dfm, idesk, etc)
> - root windows apps can not work (xpenguins, xsnow, etc).
>
> So what is the cons ?
> Why should it be there, other than for catching the mouse click for the
> desktop menu ?
>
> Thanks.

Funny you should ask now, I just send a mail to xfce4-dev ;-)

http://varmint.moongroup.com/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2003-November/008886.html

Basically, I tried and it doesn't work very well. It's mostly
implementation issues.

Secondly, the freedesktop EWMH spec recommends the use of a full-screen
window. It does make things a lot easier if you want to implement some
form of icons on the desktop.

	Jasper