~/Desktop/Autostart

Devin Whalen devin at synapticvision.com
Wed Nov 19 20:56:42 CET 2003

> Here is the script that I use in my ~/Desktop/Autostart:
>
> startup.sh
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> #
> # Auto start script
> #
>
> KSTART=`which kstart`
> GAIM=`which gaim`
> SYLPH=`which sylpheed`
> # ETERM=`which Eterm`
> XTERM=`which xterm`
> SCR_CMD=`which screen`
> GALEON=`which galeon`
>
> $KSTART --window '.*Sylpheed.*' --desktop 4 $SYLPH &
> $KSTART --window 'Buddy List' --desktop 5 $GAIM &
> $KSTART --window '*screen*' --desktop 1 --maximize $XTERM -e $SCR_CMD -R &
> $GALEON --server &
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> -- b

Hey could you describe your startup script?  Or point me to some
documentation on start-up scripts for xfce4...or is it just standard
bash code.

I understand the GAIM=`which gaim`....basically you are setting a
variable to the command to run your program.  So if I wanted to start
Evolution, I would type EVO=`which evolution`??? Or whatever program I
want.  However, what does the SCR_CMD=`which screen` do?  What is
screen?  And why do you start all your programs with kstart?  What is
kstart? (sorry for so many questions) Basically could you describe this
line:
$KSTART --window '*screen*' --desktop 1 --maximize $XTERM -e $SCR_CMD -R
&

If I can understand this, then I could write my own.  If I wanted to
start evolution on desktop 1 then I would write:
EVO=`which evolution`
--desktop 1 --maximize $EVO &
Just a guess.

Thanks for any help on this.

Later

P.S.

>I also didn't care, but as my little bro now also uses xfce & we do
>talk from time to time, we agreed to 'x-face' (as our X-Window system
> shows it's face here ;)

I agree that we should call it x-face.  That is what I have been doing.
X-face is my new favourite thing about Linux and I love telling people
about it....however I don't want to have to say x-f-c-e every time I say
it!! :)

--
Devin Whalen
Programmer