Focus problems using xfwm4

John Pettigrew john at pettigrew.org.uk
Tue Nov 18 16:32:27 CET 2003

I'm using xfwm4 as my window manager. However, there seems to be a problem
with it on my system, which I see using various other applications.

The basic issue is that xfwm4 can indicate that focus has returned to a
previously active window (by changing the window border colour) after
another window is closed. However, focus has not truly returned to this
window - the mouse must be clicked in the window before it will accept
keyboard entry. I have seen this behaviour using CrossoverOffice (in which
it seems to be most repeatable and is most annoying), but also in ROX-Filer,
Gemini (an email client) and (IIRC) The Gimp.

The fact that several other apps show this problem suggests that it lies
within xfwm4 - passing focus to the previously focused window after the
currently focused window is closed seems not to happen properly. I am using
click-to-focus mode, giving focus automatically to newly created windows but
with no raise-on-focus or raise-on-click set.

Has anyone else seen this, and can anyone suggest how to get rid of it?

John
--
John Pettigrew                         Headstrong Games
john at headstrong-games.co.uk            Fun : Strategy : Price