run Lynx w/o term'l freezes desktop

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 13 23:29:44 CET 2003

031113 Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 15:28, purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
>> so it seems this is a bug in XFCE (4.0).
> No Sir, it's not. Any console app ran within X w/out a terminal
> will cause the same problem, whatever wm/envt you use.
> That's why you have a "run in terminal" checkbox in the launcher

sorry to disagree with the master, but t'ain't so.

here i am on KDE (same machine, no reboot).
i goto an empty desktop, left-click, click 'run command'
-- NB there's no 'open in terminal' box -- ,
enter 'lynx' as before & yes it disappears into the void,
but no it doesn't affect the rest of KDE.

let me do it again, while you (virtually) wait ...
... & here i am back again on my Mutt desktop to resume writing this.

if KDE can handle it, why can't XFCE 4 ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca