xfprint4 problem

Serge Canizares serge at enluminaire.com
Sun Nov 9 07:25:26 CET 2003

Hi all.

I have a small network at home, and run Gentoo linux on all the
computers. From my laptop, on which I run XFCE4, I'd like to be able to
print to the laser printer on my print server. From an xterm, I can
print a file called, for example, test.ps, by doing

lpr -P Brother test.ps

The printer listed above is a postscript laser printer, and both my
laptop and the print server are using cups.

However, I can't manager to get xfprint4 to print to the printer. I have
tried these 3 methods, to no avail:

1. I added in my .bashrc script on the laptop
	PRINTER="lpr -P Brother"; export PRINTER

2. I added in my .bashrc script on the laptop
	alias lp="lpr -P Brother"

3. I tried setting, in xfprint-manager dialog, all of

	lp
	lpr -P Brother
	lpr

however, in every case, when I try to print, I get the error

"Unable to sent job to printer"

and if I run xfprint4 from command line, it outputs

lp: unable to print file: client-error-not-found

Has anyone seen something like this before? I'd like to get this running
so I can drag-and-drop files on the printer icon on my panel and print.

Please let me know if I could provide any other info that might help
diagnose the probem.

Thanks!

-Serge